Wednesday 16 January 2013

Bacon, Rice and Bean Stuffed Pepper

I shan't lie. This meal came from my own laziness. I got dressed to go into town to get my dinner...then had a massive fail in which I took my shoes right back off, parked my arse down, and thought "I'll just eat what's in the cupboard and fridge." Now this could have led to me eating cold baked beans from the tin (again) followed by chocolate digestives. Instead I sort of just mixed everything I found (excluding the biscuits) and shoved it inside a pepper. Nice. To recreate the complicated masterpiece of the hermit chef, follow this...



You Will Need (Serves 2)

2 Peppers of any colour
Brown Rice-about 3 uncooked tablespoons
2 Bacon rashers, chopped
Half an Onion, diced
Tin of Baked Beans
Any soy sauce,herbs or spices you desire


  • Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet (obvs)
  • In the meantime, fry up your onion and bacon. When mine was done, I splashed some soy sauce over the top, and let them sit in it as the rice finished cooking.
  • When the rice is cooked and drained, mix in the bacon, onion, any herbs you like, and about 4 tablespoons of baked beans, sauce and all.
  • Slice the top off your pepper, and scoop out the seedy inside bit. Fill with your ricey beany mixture.
  • Put the lid on your pepper, then stick on a baking tray in the oven at about 190, for 15-20 mins.
  • If you're lucky, and your pepper has a sturdy base, you can just slide onto a plate. Mine fell over, so I had to kind of scoop and sweep, but it all tastes the same.
  • Enjoy! (I served mine with the gourmet choice of chips and salad leaves)



Other fillings/cupboard findings that would be great would be either rice or cous-cous with tuna, kidney beans and peas, or perhaps just prawns and a sweet chilli sauce. Let me know your suggestions too!

4 comments: